Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Machine

It's Sewing Machine Month over at Sew Mama Sew! So, in honor of this month... I am participated in the Sewing Machine Meme. So, relax and I would like to introduce you to my machine. :)

What brand and model do you have? A Kenmore...doesn't seem to really be any specific model... except for the long model number on the back/manual:


How long have you had it? I got it Christmas 2001. It was the first Christmas after my husband and I got married. He got a digital camera and I got my machine. It was a good Christmas.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)? I believe it was right around the $200 mark at the time.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)? I started out basically with just apparel (that's what my mom mostly sews) and some mending of various things. Since I got more involved with some sewing mamas over on Mommy's Online I have branched out to bags, purses, home projects, and basically anything that I can find a great tute online for. I would love to learn to quilt.

How much do you sew? I have been sewing a few hours a day most days lately. How much wear and tear does the machine get? Daily use, pretty much.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? I have always liked her. Are you ambivalent? Nope. Passionate? Getting more passionate about her as I sew more and more and discover more things she does. Does she have a name? Nope, but I am starting to think that she needs one. Anyone have any ideas?

What features does your machine have that work well for you? Everything works pretty well. I don't do too many fancy things.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine? My long arm, free arm...whatever you call the part that you hem sleeves and such on. I wish it was a little thinner so I could get the sleeves of baby clothes over it.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it! No awesome story unfortunately.

Would you recommend the machine to others? Sure. Why? For basic sewing I think that it is a great starter.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine? Depends on what you want it to do. In many ways I am still a beginner... so I am not a good one to ask.

Do you have a dream machine? No specific brand or model.. but I want something that can quilt and embroider. I would also love a serger.

No comments: